Unfortunately, New York has been suffering with very poor voting laws and has fallen behind other states in terms of voting reform. However, we are one step closer of that being a thing of the past! On January 14th, a series of bills were passed by the New York State Legislature that would make voting easier for every New York citizen. The bills include:
- Early voting (up to 10 days before Election Day)
- Pre-registration of 16 and 17 year-olds
- Same day registration
- Same day federal and state primaries
- Portable voter registration (allows voters who move within the same state to transfer their registration and vote on Election Day at their new poll site)
- No excuse absentee voting (allows voters to request an absentee ballot without requiring that the voter state a reason)
As a result of these bills, long lines and crowding at polling sites will hopefully decrease which could help increase voter turnout.
DUSA has proudly been at the forefront along with other civic groups fighting for better voting laws in New York. Since 2015, we have gone to Albany every year to speak with New York legislators to advocate for these bills. We are excited to finally see our efforts reflected in the passing of these bills.
This a step closer to our goal in making sure that every Dominican-American, as well as every U.S. citizen, can freely exercise their right to vote. Nevertheless, there is still much work to be done.
Join us in continuing the fight for voter reform! It is because of you that we are able to do what we do, donate here: https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/dominicanos-usa-1
Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Twitter @yosoydusa. And like us on Facebook, just search Dominicanos USA!
Stay Up to Date With The Latest News & Updates
Join Our Newsletter
Stay up to date with our latest blog posts!
Tell your friend and family about us!