Mega Citizenship Drive RECAP at the Bronx Zoo
Courtesy of The New Americans Campaign – Twitter
CITIZENSHIP is the name, DOMINICANOS USA is the game! The First Mega Citizenship Drive was hosted by the New Americans Campaign Partners in New York and New Jersey! Are part of a national network of respected immigration organizations that provide free legal assistance to aspiring citizens, making the naturalization process easy to navigate and successful. The Mega Citizenship Drive took place on Sunday, May 20, 2018, at the Schiff Family Great Hall of the Bronx Zoo (2300 Southern Boulevard, Bronx, NY 10460) from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
First and foremost. A huge THANK YOU to all our volunteers and partners for helping making the Mega Citizenship DRIVE be possible! Shout out to The Northern Manhattan Coalition for Immigrant Rights (NMCIR), National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials (NALEO), NYS New Americans, New-York Historical Society (NYHSociety) and many many more! With over 300 applicants and over 100 volunteers we made it!
The process of the Mega Citizenship Drive
The location had designated stations where each applications had to go through FYI these steps don’t have to be accomplished in chronological order, some applicants are able to mix and match these steps:
- Line – This is the place where the applicants would wait and also fill out some paperwork.
- Check in – Consisted of having an excel spreadsheet of all the people who set an appointment for the event, the people at the check-in had to double check the information that was filled ou during the initial step (waiting in line).
- Screening wait area – Where applicants waited to be screened
- Screening area – The pretty fish bowl shown below, this is where applicants began the process of being screened, along with some translators if needed.
- Fee waiver – This area was specific for people who qualified for the fee waiver, can be skipped.
- N-400 Wait – Where applicants wait to receive assistance with their applications
- N-400 Preparation
- Final Review Wait – Here applicants wait to have their applications reviewed one las ttime
- Final Review – Filled with quality control and happiness.
Testimonials of the Mega Citizenship Drive
Also, Rubby Rendón hablando de su experiencia hoy en el mega taller de ciudadanía!
Another participant, Pedro Torres tells us about his experience today! For more visit: www.DominicanosUSA.org
Delta Chavez Taveras sharing her experience on today’s Mega
#citizenship event at the !
After a long days work..
On Saturday, November 18th, Dominicanos USA helped pave a better future for individuals in the Dominican-American Community. We assisted 21 permanent residents from all over New York City during our monthly citizenship workshop. We provided people with one on one conferences with lawyers as well as referrals to civic classes. In all, Dominicanos USA was able to complete 13 citizenship applications.
DUSA was also pleased to receive Senator Marisol Alcantara, of the 31st District of New York senate, in their office on Saturday. The senator came to support DUSA’s vision and movement towards mobilizing U.S. permanent residents and helping them achieve citizenship. Alcantara explored the ins and outs of the citizenship workshop. At the event, she spoke to the lawyers, warmly greeted applicants, and encouraged them to become U.S. citizens. All in all, senator Alcantara was impressed by the work and assistance DUSA had to offer to our community.
Helping people obtain American citizenship is essential to the work we do at DUSA. Becoming an American citizen enables the immigrant community to have a greater influence in politics. Through American citizenship, residents are able to exercise more civic rights and become more involved in their communities, which is exactly what DUSA aims for.